Wednesday, February 19, 2014

preschool fun: polar bear time


Today, our theme was BEARS, especially polar bears!



Books We Read:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear- Carle (a classic!)
Hush Little Polar Bear- Mack (sang this to the tune Hush Little Baby and everyone paid attention despite the lengthy text)
If You Were a Panda Bear- Minor (probably my favorite for today's theme)
Forever- Dodd (LOVE the illustrations)


Flannel Story: All Kinds of Bears

I found the CUTEST bear flannel board in the world on Mel’s Desk and she even posted her pattern, so of course I had to make a set of my own. 




All Kinds of Bears (found here )
(Sue Eilers & Mary Marshall) 
Tune: "Mary Had A Little Lamb" 

Grizzly bears are big and brown, 
Big and brown, big and brown. 
Grizzly bears are big and brown. 
They live in the woods. 

Polar bears are soft and white, 
Soft and white, soft and white. 
Polar bears are soft and white. 
They live where it's cold. 

Panda bears are black and white 
Black and white, black and white. 
Panda bears are black and white. 
They eat bamboo in China.

Black bears like blueberries, 
blueberries, blueberries. 
Black bears like blueberries 
That they find in the woods. 

Teddy bears are just my size, 
Just my size, just my size. 
Teddy bears are just my size, 
To cuddle with at night.

For my final verse, I used "Koala bears are very soft…to cuddle with at night."




Flannel Board #2: Marco the Polar Bear

I made my Marco a couple of years ago after I found the idea here




Marco the Polar Bear
As white as the snow
Sat on the ice, near the cold waters flow
Lunch! I need lunch he said
I'll make a wish.
He stuck in his paw and came up with a fish!

What color was it?

I let the kids come up and pick a fish from a special container and place it on the flannel board. It was great having the participation element to the story!

Craft: Polar Bear Puppet Cup

Since I had a bunch of polar bear templates and supplies left over from our winter party craft last month AND they came out sooo cute, I decided to do this craft again. I had a back up bear craft just in case but I didn’t need it. Everyone loved this craft and its so easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment