Saturday, January 18, 2014

toddler time: house for a mouse


We had two toddler themes today: MICE and HOUSES.

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a little white mouse puppet.
We passed out mouse puppets to each child for our next rhyme:

Put your mice UP, put your mice DOWN
Hold your mice and turn around!
Put your mice UP, put your mice DOWN
Put your mice down on the ground!

We also did There's a Mouse on the Floor (see below for the words) and they LOVED it!





Books We Read:
Run Home Little Mouse- Teckentrup (this one is a winner, the kids loved it!)
Is This Maisy's House- Cousins
Do Lions Live on Lily Pads? - Walsh



Marvelous Mouse Songs & Rhymes:

The Quiet Mouse
Once their lived a quiet mouse (Hold up finger)
In a little quiet house (Cover finger with other hand)
When all was quiet as can be (Whisper this line)
OUT POPPED HE! (Shout the line then pull finger out of hand)

Boing, Boing, Squeak
Boing, boing, squeak
Boing, boing, squeak
A bouncing mouse is in my house
He’s been there for a week
He came from out of nowhere
He quickly settled in
I’m thankful that he came alone
I heard he had a twin
He bounces in the kitchen
He bounces in the den
He bounces in the living room
Look, there he goes again
The mouse just keeps on bouncing
Every minute of the day
He bounce, bounce, bounces
But he does not bounce away

There's a Mouse on the Floor
There’s a mouse on the floor, on the floor (2X)
Who could ask for any more than a mouse on the floor,
There’s a mouse on the floor, on the floor.
Oh, no! It's on my toe!

(There's a mouse on my toe …I think I better go I have a mouse on my toe)
(There's a mouse on my thigh...I think I'm going to cry)
(There's a mouse on my face...oh what a big disgrace)
(There's a mouse on my head...I'm filled with such dread)

BUT, it jumped off! There's a mouse on the floor...



Flannel Story: Whose House?

I laminated four clipart houses. There is velcro on the back so they can stick to the flannel board, as well as a small piece to attach to an animal. I hid one animal on the back of each house.




We say:
Here is a RED house
Where someone can hide.
Let's knock on the door 
And see who's inside!

at this point i made the animal sound and they all guess who lives there. We say hello and goodbye to the animal and move on to the next one.




Today, we found Dog, Rabbit, Snake & of course, Mouse.

This flannel board was inspired by a couple of amazing blog posts: Future Librarian Superhero and Rain Makes Applesauce. Someday I hope to make awesome houses like they did.


Puppet Rhyme: Hickory Dickory Dock




I made a clock from brown foam sheets and an old box. I decorated the inside of the box as well. We said this rhyme and I brought out one puppet for each verse. You can adjust the rhyme for whatever puppets you have around.

Hickory Dickory Dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one (adjust clock time)
The mouse ran down
Hickory Dickory Dock!


Hickory Dickory Dock
The owl looked at the clock
The clock struck two (adjust clock time)
And away she flew!
Hickory Dickory Dock!


Hickory Dickory Dock
The bunny hopped up the clock
The clock struck three (adjust clock time)
The bunny said wheee!
Hickory Dickory Dock!


Hickory Dickory Dock
The squirrel sat on the clock
The clock struck four (adjust clock time)
He ran out the door!
Hickory Dickory Dock!


Hickory Dickory Dock
The bee buzzed around the clock
The clock struck five (adjust clock time)
The bee flew to her hive
Hickory Dickory Dock!

Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse went IN the clock! (reveal inside of box)
Hickory Dickory Dock, put YOUR mouse inside the clock!

I wanted the kids to come up with their mouse puppets and place them in the clock but they seemed confused and only a few did. Oh well! Otherwise, this rhyme was wonderful!

There are lots of incredible flannel ideas for this rhyme; my clock was inspired by Miss Mary Liberry and Abby the Librarian.


Craft: Mouse in a House

I printed a mouse for each child on our color printer. I also drew a house  and printed copies on a half sheet so you can fold it in half and hide the mouse behind the door. So cute! If anyone would like a copy of my house, just drop me an email at onelittlelibrarian@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.




We had about 17 kids today and everything went great! I reminded everyone about our new rule about eating and no one seemed upset at all. A wonderful program today!

No comments:

Post a Comment