Saturday, November 16, 2013

toddler time: Feeling Squirrelly


Our toddler theme today was SQUIRRELS.

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a picture of a squirrel. Look at his long bushy tail!

We passed out squirrel popsicle stick puppets to each child for our next rhyme:




Put your squirrels UP, put your squirrels DOWN
Hold your squirrel and turn around!
Put your squirrels UP, put your squirrels DOWN
Put your squirrel down on the ground


Books We Read:
Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop - Lurie (this one held their attention better than I thought it would)
Nuts to You- Ehlert (also a good choice)



Flannel Story: Squirrel’s Acorns 
I used my squirrel puppet with this rhyme so I only had to make the five acorns!!
I found this idea on a GREAT blog called Storytime Secrets





Down around the corner by the big oak tree
Sat five little acorns looking so yummy
Along came a squirrel with a big bushy tail.
He took one acorn and ran off down the trail.
(4,3,2,1).


Puppet:  Brown Squirrel (see first pic)
This is one of my favorite fall songs & it's great for all ages. 
I sang it once thru, then the kids sang with me and we added some easy movements to match the words.

Brown Squirrel, brown squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Brown Squirrel, brown squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Hold a nut between your toes,
Wrinkle up your little nose!
Brown Squirrel, brown squirrel, swish your bushy tail!





Craft:
I found a great squirrel template online and pre-cut a bunch of them before the program. The toddlers colored them, added sticky eyes and glued brown paper shreds to create bushy tails. Adorable!!!

A great program today and a large group! After a not so great baby program yesterday, this one cheered me up a lot. Everyone is loving the new toys we got (donations from my sister!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment