Thursday, October 3, 2013

toddler time: abracadabra!


So a few weeks ago, I read a blog post about a magic themed story time and it really inspired me to give it a try! I’ve been a little obsessed, looking for great books and rhymes until finally this week, I used my MAGIC story plan for two visiting preschool classes, as well as my weekly toddler program. It was a complete hit! Thanks to Storytime Katie for sharing her AMAZING ideas!

Our toddler theme today was MAGIC!




Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a white bunny in a tall black hat finger puppet!

We did this rhyme:

Here is a bunny
With ears so funny
And here is his magical hat.
When a noise he hears, 
he pricks up his ears
And jumps in his magical hat!

We did the rhyme again with hand motions instead of the puppet.

Then, we handed out bunny stick puppets & we did our first rhyme:

Bunnies up! Bunnies down!
Hold your bunny & turn around.
Bunnies up! Bunnies down!
Put your bunny on the ground.

Books We Read:
Mr Merlin and the Turtle- Chwast
The Magic Box- Cleminson


Good Preschool Magic Books:
Hedgehog’s Magic Tricks- Paul
Foxy- Emma Dodd
What’s the Magic Word?- DiPucchio
Tap the Magic Tree- Matheson


Fun Magic Rhymes:


  • Abracadabra (I bought a magic wand from amazon.com that turns into a flower! It’s a pretty neat trick and inexpensive also! The wand was used many times for this program.)




Abracadabra, Abrakazoom! (wave wand mysteriously)
Storytime magic, come into this room!!! (show kids magic flower now "growing" in little black pot)



  • Hat Trick (with Puppets & magic wand) 

also borrowed from Storytime Katie! I also have a HAND puppet sized rabbit in a hat & its perfect for this little trick!


my bunny puppet & the stuff I pulled out of my hat


Magic, magic, in my hat!
I’ll pull out a rabbit
Ready? 1..2..3  
(I pulled out a purple scarf, then a pink flower, followed by a small cow puppet)
Ahhhh! What is that?!

(repeat until ready for the rabbit)

Then I told the kids I needed to try a different rhyme:

A little soft bunny
With fur as white as snow
Will magically appear
When I wave my wand like so
Abracadabra, alacazam!
Come out little bunny as quick as you can!
1…2…3!



  • 2 Little Rabbits

I also used TWO "rabbit in a hat" finger puppets for this rhyme. It is kind of tricky so i think my fingers need more practice:

Two little rabbits, sitting in a hat
One named Peter, one named Pat
Disappear Peter, Disappear Pat
Come back Peter, Come back Pat


  • Another cute one I found: My Magic Wand (from Storytime Magic) page 61.




Flannel Story: Five Magic Rabbits 




Five magic rabbits each in a tall black hat. 
Along comes a magician who gives each one a pat. 
Then he waves his magic wand high above their ears.
(ask kids to wave their wands too!)
Abracadabra, poof! One rabbit disappears. 
(Count down to one) 

One magic rabbit, He’s in a tall black hat. 
Along comes a magician who gives him a pat. 
Then he waves his magic wand high above his ears. 
Abracadabra, poof! The last rabbit disappears.

This flannel board was great and easy to make. I already had a set of felt white rabbits I purchased on ebay.com a while back, so I only had to cut out the hats.



Craft: Magic Rabbits




I found a clipart rabbit and a hat template. We colored the bunnies, taped them to popsicle sticks & made them pop in and out of the magic black hats, which we decorated with sparkly star stickers.


New Song:
I played "There’s a Little Wheel A Turning in My Heart" by Laurie Berkner at the end of our program today. I just love that sweet little song! It was really fun!


This was one of my most favorite programs ever! The magic theme was a wonderful idea! We had one of our biggest crowds with more than 25 toddlers.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Flannel Story: Five Magic Rabbits
    Where can I get the instructions to make them ?

    ReplyDelete