Saturday, September 7, 2013

toddler time: perfect pets


Our toddler theme today was SNAKES & PETS

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a picture of a snake! What does a snake say? HISSSSSSS!

We handed out colorful snake stick puppets & we did our first rhyme:

Snake up! Snakes down!
Hold your snake & turn around.
Snakes up! Snakes down!
Put your snake on the ground.





Books We Read:
Splendid Spotted Snake- Schwartz
Dear Zoo- Campbell

Other Good Snake/Pet books:
Who Am I: Pets
Mouse Count- Walsh
Hide and Snake - Baker


Flannel Story: Five Little Snakes 

I found this cute rhyme here 
I found my colorful printable snakes here. Love this site!







One little snake alone and blue,
Called for a friend. Hiss!
And then there were two.

Two little snakes, fast as can be,
They called for a friend. Hiss! Hiss!
Then there were three.

Three little snakes, slithering by the door,
They called for a friend. Hiss! Hiss! Hiss!
Then there were four.

Four little snakes, happy and alive,
They called for a friend. Hiss! Hiss! Hiss! Hiss!
Then there were five!

Puppets: Going to the Pet Store

I fell in love with this idea on the So Tomorrow blog! 
I gathered a bunch of pet puppets (fish, mouse, turtle, frog, hamster, cats, dog, snake) and pulled them out of the box one at a time.


Going to the pet store, (Slap your knees to the beat)
Gonna find a pet. 
Going to the pet store,  I wonder what to get? 
Hmmmmm...  (Scratch your head) 
(Look in the box and pull out a puppet)

I did them in size order smallest to largest, or in this case - longest. Each time I finished the verse, I would try to give a little hint about the animal, like its color or sound, etc. After I showed the animal, I would say something like, “I like this mouse but I think I need something... BIGGER!”
The kids loved this story and a lot of the moms told me afterwards that their boys are really into snakes so it worked out great!


Craft:




We made circle snakes! There are lots of great template online so I printed one for each child. We tied a ribbon to the tail so they would bounce around a little.

Here is the link to the snake I used for our stick puppets.

We had an awesome turnout today with 21 kids, our biggest Toddler Time ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment