Tuesday, August 13, 2013

toddler time: berry nice!


The Toddler themes for today were BERRIES and the color BLUE!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found two bird puppets! What color are our birds? BLUE! What does a bird say? TWEET TWEET!



Books We Read:
Peekaboo Blueberry – Saltzberg (Although technically not about blueberries, the Bunny is named Blueberry and he is wearing the color blue. I just love this book!)
Jamberry- Degen
The Big Hungry Bear- Wood
If You’re Happy and You Know It- Carter
One Little Blueberry - Salzano

Flannel Story:
Bucket of Blueberries



I found this idea on one of my favorite blogs Fun with Friends at Storytime

I got two little metal pails from the dollar bin at Target. I put 10 red poms poms in one and 10 blue pom poms in the other. We started with the blue ones: drop the pom poms into the bucket and count:

1 berry, 2 berry, 3 berries 4,
5 blueberries...let's count some more!
6 berry, 7 berry, 8 berry, 9
10 blueberries are mighty fine!

Now, I've got a bucket of blueberries
that I want to eat...
It's time to cook up a great berry treat.
I'll mix up some things
and stir with all my might.
Then I'll have a delicious
Blueberry delight.
(stir your berries)

Blueberry Yogurt (I used clipart for these, place on felt board)
blueberry pie
blueberry muffin
My, oh my! (rub tummy and smile)

I also made a strawberry version, count out the red pom poms:

1 berry, 2 berry, 3 berries 4,
5 strawberries...let's count some more!
6 berry, 7 berry, 8 berry, 9
10 strawberries are mighty fine!

Now, I've got a bucket of strawberries
that I want to eat...
It's time to cook up a great berry treat.
I'll mix up some things
and stir with all my might.
Then I'll have a delicious
Strawberry delight.
(stir your berries)

Strawberry Yogurt (I used clipart for these, place on felt board)
strawberry pie
strawberry cupcake
My, oh my! (rub tummy and smile)


Bluebird puppets and our blueberry basket craft


Puppet:
I made blue bird stick puppets for the kids to hold for this rhyme:

Birdies Up, Birdies down
Hold your birdie & turn around
Birdies Up, Birdies Down
Put your Birdie on the ground.

Puppet II:
Although it wasn’t specific to blueberries, I decided to try a Mouse puppet version of the book Lunch that I found on the AMAZING blog Thrive After Three. All you need are the felt fruits and veggies and a mouse puppet. The kids LOVED it and it was so much fun to do. I definitely want to try more puppet related activities in my toddler programs in the future.



Craft:
We made Berry Baskets to take home. I cut out the basket shape for the kids to decorate with crayons and a pre-cut label. I also provided some washable blue paint and pencils so we could dip the eraser side in the paint and make perfect blueberries for our basket. Thanks to Fun with Friends at Storytime for this terrific craft and template!

No comments:

Post a Comment