Tuesday, August 27, 2013

toddler time: panda bear party


Our toddler theme today was PANDAS!



Mystery Box: We needed a bigger box today for our stuffed panda bear. What color is a panda bear? Black and white!

We sang this cute song about pandas:

Tune: You are my Sunshine
I am a panda, a furry panda
I live in China and eat bamboo
It is a thick grass that grows in my land
And it isn’t that easy to chew.

Then I handed out panda stick puppets we did this rhyme:
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Turn around
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Touch the ground
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Dance on your toes
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Touch your nose
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Show your shoe
Panda Bear Panda Bear, I love you
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, Give a little clap
Panda Bear Panda Bear, Take a nap

Books We Read:
Noodle Loves Bedtime- Billet
Panda Big and Panda Small- Cabrera
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See- Martin

More Perfect Panda Books:
Where Is Maisy’s Panda- Cousins
If You Were a Panda Bear – Minor (great for all different kinds of bears)

Flannel Story:
I created five felt pandas and found a bunch of great rhymes and flannel board ideas. I chose this one because it was most interactive and it was AWESOME!

Five Little Pandas




Sing to the tune of Five Little Indians kind of:
Five little pandas, five little pandas, five little pandas eating bamboo!

SHHHHHH! Let’s tiptoe!

(sing quietly)
Let’s sneak up behind them, let’s sneak up behind them, let’s sneak up behind them, Peek a BOO!!!!!!

I explained that I needed some help with this and we practiced tiptoeing and saying peekaboo together. It was really fun!


Puppet:
I was inspired by Thrive After Three to try a puppet presentation of Laurie Berkner's Pig on Her Head song. Since I didn't have the cd, I brought the video up on youtube & attached a laptop to some speakers. 

So, we were about halfway through the song and everyone seemed interested, and suddenly one of my toddlers lunged her little body over my table, hit the escape button (of course!) and the whole thing came to a sudden, very unexpected stop!!! 

I had a split second to decide how to proceed with all eyes on me. Part of me wanted to cry but thankfully, the rational, librarian side of me cheerily announced that it was time for crafts so lets all find a seat at the tables. I will try again in a couple of weeks, definitely with a CD; those laptops are just too tempting for the toddlers!

Craft:

panda stick puppets & today's craft (center)


We made Panda Paper Bag Puppets to take home. I found the template here and it was ideal for this age group. We just pasted the face, mouth and hands on.





No comments:

Post a Comment