Wednesday, August 7, 2013

toddler time: llamas


We had two themes theme for today’s toddler program: LLAMAS and the color RED

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a Clifford the Big Red Dog stuffed animal.



Books We Read:
Llama Llama Red Pajama – Dewdney
Is Your Mama a Llama- Guarino
Llama Llama Hippity Hop- Dewdney
Strawberries Are Red- Horacek
Who Said Red- Serfozo

Flannel Story: Llama Llama, Is This Red?



I printed out a few items on my color printer, some are red like apples, fire engines, etc. Some are NOT red: a blue bird, a green tree, an orange butterfly. I laminated an image of Dewdney’s Llama to put on the felt board and told the kids, “ Llama LOVES the color red so she is looking for things that match her red pajamas. Baby Llama, is this red?” I would hold up an item and we’d see if it belonged on the felt board.

I’m not sure many of my toddlers are aware of colors but I figure it doesn’t hurt to discuss them. I remember some of my niece’s first words were her colors.


Puppet:
I made red Clifford stick puppets for the kids to hold for this rhyme:

Doggies Up, Doggies down
Hold your doggie & turn around
Doggies Up, Doggies Down
Put your doggie on the ground.



Craft:
We made little Llama Llama puppets to take home. I cut out the shapes, we glued the heads and pajamas on as well as a teddy bear. I found this idea here.

We also made Clifford the big red dog headbands using red construction paper strips and ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment