Saturday, July 27, 2013

toddler time: monkey see


MONKEYS were the theme for today’s toddler program.

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a monkey puppet. What does a monkey say? What do monkeys LOVE to eat? I handed out paper bananas in various colors for the toddlers to hold.



Books We Read:
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed- Eileen Christelowe
Monkey See, Look at Me- Lorena Siminovich
Noodle Loves the Zoo
If You’re Happy and You Know It- David Carter


More Great Monkey Related Books:
Banana - Ed Vere
Two Little Monkeys- Mem Fox
Count the Monkeys - Mac Barnett

Flannel Story: Counting Bananas

I love my new monkey in a barrel puppet! I plan to use him for Baby & Me too!


5 yellow bananas, and not one more.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 4
4 yellow bananas, so yummy to see.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 3
3 yellow bananas, & he knew what to do.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 2
2 yellow bananas, hanging in the sun.
The monkey ate one, & then there as 1
1 yellow banana, well for goodness sake.
The monkey ate that one, & he got a tummyache
Now there are no little bananas hanging on the tree
Monkey, your tummy wouldn’t hurt if you shared them with me!



Puppet:
I made monkey stick puppets for this rhyme:

I printed these from clipart on my color printer.


Two little monkeys swinging in a tree
One named Lou, one named Lee
Swing away Lou, Swing away Lee
Swing back Lou, Swing back Lee!


Other Monkey Rhymes:

Five Little Monkeys Sitting In a Tree
5 little monkeys sitting in a tree,
Teasing Mr. Crocodile: “can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr. Crocodile, quiet as can be.
SNAP!
4 little monkeys . . .
3 little monkeys . . .
2 little monkeys . . .
1 little monkey . . .
no little monkeys sitting in a tree.
away Swims Mr. Crocodile, full as can be.


“I’m a Little Monkey” (tune: “I’m a little Teapot”)
I’m a little monkey, small and brown.
I can reach up and then touch the ground.
I can swing my tail and turn around.
I can jump up and then sit down.


Color Monkeys (tune: Frere Jacques) Great for finger puppets!
I’m a red monkey, I’m a red monkey.
look and see, look and see.
If you have a red banana, if you have a red banana,
Please bring it to me, please bring it to me.
Repeat with other colors, inviting children to place their bananas on the flannelboard when their colors are called


Craft:
Colorful monkeys with pipe cleaner arms & legs

Paper bananas & today's monkey craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment