Wednesday, July 24, 2013

elephant & piggie party

Yesterday, we threw an awesome party for Mo Willems' Elephant & Piggie characters! Everyone had a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again someday. I've been a huge fan of Mo Willems for a long time; his books are almost always hilarious and extremely kid friendly. 

The most difficult part about planning this party was choosing from all the great Elephant & Piggie books. We read four:



We Are In a Book



Watch Me Throw the Ball



There Is a Bird on Your Head




and my personal favorite, Should I Share My Ice Cream!

My co-worker Linda and I read each story together with me taking the elephant lines and her reading the piggie lines. I even made animal headbands for us to wear during our "performance". I also brought in a bird nest for my head. Luckily, it stayed on and the kids laughed in all the right places.

After the reading, we had games, crafts and refreshments. I put out mini beach balls and a big red tub so the kids could see how far they could throw the balls, just like in the story. I also made some bird nests from paper lunch bags filled with plastic eggs so they could try walking with a bird nest on their heads. We had an Elephant & Piggie coloring sheet printed on cardstock so they could color, cut and tape on popsicle sticks to create their very own stick puppets.

And since it is July, we just had to serve some ice cream of course! We had a nice crowd for our program and some kids even brought their own stuffed versions of Elephant & Piggie. Maybe someday Linda & I can take our show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment