Friday, June 21, 2013

toddler time: bugging out

Our theme for today’s Toddler Time program was BUGS!

Mystery Box:
Inside the yellow box, we found a green grasshopper finger puppet!

Books We Read:
I Love Bugs- Sturges
Soup for One- Ethan Long
If You’re Happy and You Know It- Carter

Puppet/Movement:
I made little popsicle stick buggie puppets from green cardstock for all the kids to hold for this special rhyme:

Buggies up!
Buggies down!
Hold your bug and turn around.
Buggies up!
Buggies down!
Put your buggie on the ground!

Also:

Bippity Boppity
Bippity Boppity Boo
There’s a little bug on my shoe!
Bippity boppity bee
There’s a little bug on my knee
Bippity boppity bed
There’s a little bug on my head
ETC

And:

After spotting this cute idea here, I was inspired to create a spider web from white yarn and some shiny silver cardstock. Then, I found some old bug finger puppets and used them for this cute little song:





FOUR LITTLE BUGS
One little bug went out to play,
On a spider’s web one day.
He had ever so much fun,
He called for another bug to come.
HEY BUGGY!

Two little bugs went out to play,
On a spider’s web one day.
They had ever so much fun,
They called for another bug to come.
HEY BUGGY!

Three little bugs went out to play,
On a spider’s web one day.
They had ever so much fun,
They called for another bug to come.
HEY BUGGY!

Four little bugs went out to play,
On a spider’s web one day.
They got stuck, all in a bunch.
And along came spider, in time for lunch!
                                    Jean Warren
I found this great idea here.

 The kids especially seemed to like yelling out HEY BUGGY!


Flannel Story: Little Bug



We looked for the little bug hiding under one of our four rugs. We said “Little bug, little bug, are you hiding under the BLUE rug?” until we finally found her. I used clip art images for rugs and created my cute little bug from felt.


Craft:
Buggy Leaves

Buggy stick puppet, the grasshopper from the Mystery Box & our Buggy Leaf craft.


I cut leaf shapes from green construction paper. We glued foam buggies on to the leaves and colored them. Everyone really liked this super easy craft.

We had a great turnout today with all seats taken again! After our class, I brought out the blue bag of toys and both the toddlers and their moms seemed to love this additional playtime.




No comments:

Post a Comment