Monday, May 20, 2013

preschool visits



Today, I had the pleasure of visiting a wonderful local preschool. I saw seven classes and was so impressed with the children and teachers there. Everyone was so attentive and appreciative of my visit. I brought them a selection of some of my most favorite books, a mix of some new ones as well as some old ones:


Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes – Litwin
Jump- Fischer
Lemons Are Not Red- Seeger
Maisy’s Wonderful Weather Book- Cousins
The Three Bears- Barton
I Spy With My Little Eye- Gibbs
If You’re Happy and You Know It- Carter (big finale book!)


For the Little Ones (2 yr olds):


Red Light, Green Light- Suon
What Color Is Your Underwear- Lloyd
Do Cows Meow?- Yoon
Duckie’s Rainbow - Barry


For the Afternoon Session:


Wiggle- Cronin
Blue Goose- Tafuri
Hi Pizza Man- Walter
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons- Litwin
Lunch – Fleming
Baby Bear Sees Blue- Wolff

To go with the Barton and Wolff books, I brought my Bear (in a tree stump puppet) and we sang “Where Is Bear?” Bear was a big hit at school!

Since many of the books related to colors, fruits or rainbows, I brought my Rainbow Stew flannel board as well as my black pot and wooden spoon. About halfway thru each class, I’d ask the kids if they’d ever made rainbow stew before. I got a lot of funny looks.  I pulled out my fruit (red apple, orange, yellow banana, green pear, blueberries, purple grapes) and we named them as we put them on the board. Then we’d sing:



Take an apple, put it in the pot
Stir it, stir it, stir it, a lot
Take it out now, what do you see?
The prettiest RED you ever did see!



Instead of pulling out the red apple, I pull out the red rainbow sliver. Repeat for each fruit until you have a beautiful rainbow!

I found this amazing idea here.  Kids usually say things like, “Do it again!” or “How do you do that?” and “Its magic!” I love their reactions! Thanks to Storytime ABCs for sharing this wonderful flannel board!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment