Tuesday, May 21, 2013

preschool fun: flower power


Our preschool theme today was GARDENS and FLOWERS!

Books We Read:
Maisy Grows a Garden – Lucy Cousins
My Garden- Kevin Henkes ( a little long for this group)
Colors Peekaboo Pop Up- DK
In Wibbly’s Garden- Mick Inpen
What Does Bunny See?- Linda Sue Park

Fingerplays:
Purple Stew
Let Everyone Clap Hands Like Me
Open Shut Them
Touch Your Nose/Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes

Flannel Story: Flowers Grow in Flowerpots

I spotted this flannel board on Flannel Friday a few weeks ago and fell in love! This awesome post is from a great blog called Fun with Friends at Storytime

I was afraid my kids might not sit for ten flowers because they are usually VERY active,  so I modified it to five flowerpots.

I have some flowerpots for my story today. Let’s count the flowerpots together, Ready? 1 2 3 4 5

Here are FIVE flowerpots ready for some fun!
I’ll put them outside in the nice warm sun. (add sun to felt board)

What color are our flowerpots?

I have FIVE flower seeds that need a spot
I’ll plant each one in a color flowerpot

Today's flower pot craft and my seed packet!


Ready, lets count the seeds 1 2 3 4 5 (place on pots)

Each little seed will grow to be
A beautiful flower for all to see! (hold up flower bunch)

Let’s match the flowers up to the right pot, ready?
(help kids match the colors to the right pot)

With sunshine (point to sun)
And water (hold up watering can)
The seeds can grow
Into FIVE pretty flowers –
See my lovely flower show!

my flower show! watering can from Etsy.com




Craft:
We used paper cups, green popsicle sticks and paper to make pretty flowers that “grow” in their flowerpots. See photo #1!

We had a great turnout with 8 kids for today’s program!


No comments:

Post a Comment