Thursday, March 14, 2013

preschool visits


Birthdays! (part 3)

Two wonderful preschool groups visited our library today.


Today’s theme: Birthdays & CAKES!


Books Read:

If You Give a Cat a Cupcake- Numeroff
Maisy Bakes a Cake- Cousins
The Blue Balloon- Inkpen
The Secret Birthday Message- Carle
Spot Bakes a Cake- Hill
Do Crocs Kiss- Yoon (LOVE her!)
If You’re Happy and You Know It – Carter
Little Gorilla - Ruth Bornstein

Fingerplays:

Open Shut Them
Blow the Balloon
Purple Stew
Sticky Bubble Gum
Dance Your Fingers


Un-Flannel Story: Let’s Make a Cake


It's someone's Birthday!  

(may be someone in the class or the character in a book or even me!)
Let's make a cake!
What do we need? 
(I use a wooden spoon to "stir" the ingredients, kids use imaginary spoons)
sugar! flour! eggs! butter!
(kids today suggested strawberries, blueberries, pepper, salt, sprinkles, etc and we throw it all into our magic cake batter)
Let's put it in the oven! 
(I close the box and I bake it under my chair while we read a book or do a fingerplay)

I smell something delicious, can you smell it? Should we check on our cake? 

It's Ready! Look at the amazing cake we made!




Something is missing on our birthday cake, what is it?

Candles!! Lets put some on our cake: 1,2,3,4,5
Let's light the candles:1,2,3,4,5
Now we sing Happy Birthday!
Now lets blow out the candle with this rhyme. Everybody show me 5 fingers!

Five Birthday Candles
5 birthday candles, wish there were more, blow out one (blow), and then there are 4
4 birthday candles, pretty as can be, blow out one (blow), and then there are 3
3 birthday candles, mother bought them new, blow out one (blow), and then there are 2
2 birthday candles, birthday cakes are fun, blow out one (blow), and then there is 1
1 birthday candle, a birthday wish is fun, but blow out one, then there are none!


I found this amazing idea on one of my favorite blogs, My Storytime Life. I didn't have time to make a beautiful felt cake so i just used clipart printed off of my color printer and laminated for durability. I attached clothespins like she did and made my own clipart candles with pipe cleaner & felt flames. Creating my cake was a little more time consuming than some of my other projects but it was so worth the effort. This activity was a lot of fun to do with the preschoolers!


We ended our session with one of my most favorite books of all time!! It's always a hit with the preschool or toddler crowd.





For our craft today, we made little paper birthday cakes to take home. I found a clip art cake and candle here. I cut everything out in advance so the kids could decorate with crayons and glitter. Everyone loved making their own cakes!






No comments:

Post a Comment